Stride Radio

SIX killed and many villagers were abducted in Niger state by bandits

Bandits have killed six persons and abducted many villagers in Maguzawa and Garin Gidigore communities in Rafi local government area of Niger State.
Three persons were reportedly slaughtered while unspecified number of people were abducted on Wednesday night, June 15, in Maguzawa community.
According to Daily Trust report, women and children were among those kidnapped while many residents fled their homes to Kagara and Pandogari in Niger State and Birnin Gwari town in Kaduna State.
It was also gathered that bandits attacked Garin Gidigore on Tuesday night, killed some persons and abducted others. Spokesperson of the State Police Command, DSP Wasiu Abiodun, who confirmed the attack on Garin Gidigore community, said three persons were killed.
“During the attack, about three persons lost their lives and a yet-to-be ascertained number of victims were abducted, while two houses were set ablaze,” the PPRO stated. .
 A source who pleaded for anonymity said the number of people kidnapped in Maguzawa attack cannot be ascertained.
“In Maguzawa, three persons were slaughtered and unspecified number of people have kidnapped and some people have fled. We have seen three corpses so far and they were slaughtered. We don’t know the number of people they went away with for now,” the source said.
Residents said that many communities in Rafi Local Government Area had been under the siege of bandits for the past three weeks.
A resident, Ibrahim Ahmad, said his brother was among those kidnapped on Tuesday night, adding that many people had fled their homes to Kagara and Pandogari in Niger State and Burning Gwari in Kaduna State.
“In less than three weeks, we have witnessed about 10 different attacks on various communities in Rafi Local Government. It’s almost every day. Before the Tuesday attack, last two weeks, bandits attacked Gulbi, Unguwan-Jaye and Kusherki communities where 8 persons were killed and 36 others kidnapped while one person was seriously injured. As I speak to you, they have demanded N50 million for the first set of people they kidnapped,” he said.
Ahmad said several houses and properties belonging to peasant farmers were set ablaze during the Tuesday’s attack that lasted several hours.
He called for humanitarian support from government, organisations and individuals as especially food and children wears to cushion their hardship.

Leave a Reply